Wednesday 24 September 2008

When is a pair of curtains not a pair of curtains?

When it's a skirt, of course!!

This is what I made yesterday as a practise for my costume for the belly dance show next month.

Each class is performing their own special dance then the rest of the show will be solos from tutors and group dances across the classes. The dance that our Thusday class is performing is a gypsy style dance and we need BIG swirly skirts. Unfortunately the pukka ones - with hems in excess of 10 yards - cost a fortune (upwards of £35). I found several different websites with instructions on how to make them so, of course, I had to have a go.

This one has a 12 yard hemline so you needed about 6 yards of fabric. I didn't have any lengths like that in my stash but then I spotted some tab top curtains that I'd bought for our bed when we had a 4 poster. There were four of them. Plenty of material to play with.

Handling that much fabric was a bit of a nightmare but i'm quite chuffed with the result (just wish I'd put some make-up on yesterday before I got OH to take the photos!!!).

ttfn
xx

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Good job it was already hemmed! Hand rolling 12 yards..I think not.

Lindsey said...

I wish... I've still got to hem it but I couldn't face it yesterday. I have that delight to face tonight in front of the telly.

Anonymous said...

That skirt is awesome!