Monday 15 September 2008

Better late than never...

Here is my fantabulous Robot Swap parcel, courtesy of my partner, Katy. Look at all this loveliness.

Please meet and greet Frank and Bob. Frank is a robot from Seattle. He was a bit nervous about flying (especially as he wasn't allowed to go in First Class) so Katy made him a teddy to cuddle. Bob the teddy was named after Frank's favourite film start - Robert Redford.
Frank is a helpful 'bot. He is quite happy to hold all manner of items - notes, photos, postcards - although at the moment he's still settling into his new home and is reluctant to let go of Bob.
He's also holding a shrinky-dink type tag/pendant and his instruction manual.
In his travelling case were other fab treats: postcards of Seattle library - a really groovy building which is a work of art (just a bit hard to find books in apprently, peanut butter pretzels in case he felt peckish (although I think he may have a nut allergy as he didn't eat any of them - all the more for me :o) and two balls of fantastic wool. Katy used some for knitting she says, but I feel some fab doll hair in the offing...

Look at the attention to detail. Frank's fully operational switch on his head (you tell me what it activates???), his great authentic American jeans, and I love his polo-neck - he knew he was coming to the Land of Eternal Damp.
Here's a close-up of Bob complete with his little red and white scarf. He too knows about our weather..
Thanks so much Katy. My parcel of goodies was fabulous. I just hope you like yours when you get it.

I enjoyed my needle sculpting class so much I decided to have another go. I had a bit of the pink 'hair' left and a scrap of stretch fabric so off I went...

What do you think? I love her. I got so carried away I found some great patchwork fabric and proceeded to cut out and stitch 2 body patterns from my new Patti book.
It is so curvy - it's fab. Unfortunately the scale is wrong for my heads. Bah!! They are way too big for this pattern. So instead I added the head I made last week.
I'll have to find another pattern to use for the stretchy heads, or design my own of course. But in the meantime I decided I wanted to make another doll. Crafteroo are having a Halloween Challenge so, I thought, 'Why Not?'...

hee hee hee I love her! I just tweaked one of the 'Patti patterns' to give a pointy nose and chin and off I went. I'm really pleased with the mouth as it looks like I've needle sculpted it but it's all drawn with pens and coloured pencils.
I know she's not very beautiful but I didn't want a glamorous witch. I wanted a Shakespearean, ugly old hag. Just not too sure about the eyes...

I've done the limbs and just need to stuff the body, then I can begin to put her all together and start the fun bit - dressing her.

My plan is to actually cost this doll properly as I go along, and - SHOCK! HORROR!! - sell her on etsy. In America Halloween is a big event so I'm hoping maybe someone out there will want a handmade witchy art doll for their collection, in time for the 31st October.

STOP PRESS!!!!

The smell has gone!!! Hooray!!!

Well OK. Not completely. There is a faint tang of burnt offering if you put your head inside the microwave but apart from that, the kitchen is useable again and we can shut the windows and unplug the air fresheners now. Phew!!

Maybe the lesson is that I shouldn't cook anymore... Please OH?...

I've been the lucky recipient of two awards. Thanks so much to Jackie and Susan. I'll post them and tag my nominees next time.

ttfn

xx

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the smell is mostly gone.. yucky smells are terrible to live with!
I'm loving the doll heads and that witch head is MARVELOUS!
Missy

Anonymous said...

ps. I like the snake eyes
Missy

kt said...

So glad they arrived safe and sound! I know that Frank will settle in soon.

LOVELOVELOVE the witchy face! You're doing such wonderful things! Keep it up!

Daisie said...

Wow! I love the witch, her face is fab, really creepy!
The new doll face is loads better but I still like the first one too. She has a lop-sided beauty. The body is wonderful, and it's purple!! I think you should make one for me, mine is a bit pale and wrinkly and baggy round the edges these days, that's what happens when you have three children and too many yummy cakes, lol!!!
xxx

Selfsewn said...

Cute robot, neat job KT

Your heads are quite freaky!!

Clare

Swirlyarts said...

Love the witchy head, it's fab!!! Glad the smell has gone and that robot is cute. Maybe the switch on his head is a self destruct switch?

Kitty said...

OH my ... that witch is nothing short of fabulous. Can't wait to see her 'dressed'. x

JuliaB said...

i am intregued by those dolls .. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that witch .. what is needle sculpting? where d'you get patti patterns ... ? yours in curiosity ..? xx oh .. and glad the smell has gone!! x

Nix Muse said...

You do a wonderful job on those faces. I'm excited to see the end result of the Witchy Doll. I love Halloween and witches!

Sal said...

The robot is fab! I might try that in my next art/craft class ;-)

Chloe said...

Ahhh what a sweet robot!

I love love love the witch. She's ace!

Mrs Jelly said...

Lyndsey
Thank you for your comments on my "sad" post today.
Mr Jelly has said I should remove the post in case the family read it, so now he's made me feel guilty so I've deleted it.
I just wanted to say thank you for thinking about me, and explain why it has disappeared from my blog

Tip Top said...

Completely fantastic! You leave me wishing I could do all this stuff!

These are dolls for big grown up but not really girlies!!

artisbliss said...

I'm extremely impressed with your doll heads. The witch is especially terrific.

artisbliss said...

I did make my doll under the influence of Patti Medaris Cullea. I bought a bag of various sized inexpensive wooden beads and painted them for the joints. Worked great.

Kim said...

Hi there - new to your blog but just have to say....Oh my goodness I LOVE the witch head!! She's beyoootiful!!! Clever lady! x